Sonny began a thread of what to save.   Well, in 2005 with Hurricane
Ivan heading straight for Pensacola, and again last year with Hurricane
Dennis hitting us in early
July.....in both cases, my wife and I were at home trying to decide what
we could live
without.   My scenario/take was let's say the roof goes, the rain pours
in, the windows
break and wind blows through.....what are the items you would most like
to have intact at the end considering you can replace most furniture,
appliances, etc.?   Or
it's time to move to a retirement home, you have one room apartment,
what would
you keep?

That led us to some sobering conclusions.   Those items we wished to
save were
carefully sealed in plastic storage containers, double strapped (you
have to think of tape that won't come off in water), edges sealed,
placed in contractor plastic bags
(heavy mil)...and the resulting "cube" further strapped with contractor
cloth tapes.

Fortunately all we lost in both cat 3 hurricanes were trees.   But it
did give us some
enlightenment as to what to retain or not.   Also the question came up
of what paper
legacy we'd leave if we gave personal papers to an archives, what was
important?
And Why?

Some thoughts on disposophbia.

Dean

Dean DeBolt
University Librarian, Special Collections
John C. Pace Library, University of West Florida
11000 University Parkway
Pensacola, FL  32514-5750
850-474-2213