Interesting questions. I'm not a lawyer. I study copyright a bit, and here's
my take...

1) I would probably considered these unpublished, because I believe that for
purposes of copyright status publication generally requires the intent of
the copyright holder. I've asked similar questions regarding things posted
to websites. I could be wrong, though. ^_^;

2) The childen would hold the copyright to their works. An online exhibit
may be a fair use, but note that noone could say with 100% certainty if a
given use is fair or not outside of a court of law. You'll need to make a
fair use evaluation as to whether or not you think the use is fair. The four
factors of fair use are the purpose of the use, the nature of the work, the
amount of work used, and the effect on the market or potential
markets.Youdon't have to meet each of these factors, but have to
evaluate the use as a
whole.  Noncommercial uses are more likely to be fair than commercial uses.
Using factual, less creative works is more likely to be fair than using
highly creative works. Using less of the work is more likely to be fair than
using the entire work or the "heart" of a work. Not having an effect on the
market is more likely to be fair that affecting the market (serving as a
substitute for the sale of an product, for example). I would guess that your
uses of these works are fair (digitization and putting them online),
assuming you are doing this for noncommercial purposes. There might be
privacy or other implications if children are involved as well, though. If
you can consult a lawyer, I'd check to make sure. ^_^

For other optinions, though, feel free to as on the forums of
librarycopyright.net. Some of the librarians there might have similar
experiences. The more info you provide, the better we can try fair use
evaluations. ^_^

Carlos Ovalle