Thanks, Roy, that really made me laugh out loud!  That's a great example of most welcome but not entirely OT Friday humor.  :-)

Have a good weekend, hope it's nice and quiet for you!

Maarja

>>> Roy Webb <[log in to unmask]> 6/9/2006 12:38 PM >>>
Since it's Friday, thank the gods...

Today I was on the reference desk in the Library (our offices and
collections were moved to a different part of campus, almost a year ago,
because of renovations).  So I'm there and the construction crews start
drilling through concrete, right outside the room; all that's between us
is a sheetrock wall.  This has been going on for over a year; two weeks
ago they shut off the high pressure steam line that heats the building,
but they couldn't turn off the AC because the computers downstairs would
melt, so we were on the desk with fleece coats, hats, and fingerless
gloves.  On Monday it was stifling; the director's office was 97F.  So
today it's the drills, the drills!  Earplugs were no help; I was ready
to throw myself off the atrium just to escape it.

But it so happens that we get a patron in who's convinced that there are
Viking ships hidden in Arizona lakes, who likes to quote out loud long
passages of some book he got out of our collection, who wants us all to
talk at length about his particular research obessions.  He tried to
talk to both of us but we could only point at the wall and our ears and
shrug, to say, sorry, can't hear you.

So yes, Virginia, you can make a silk purse from the proverbial sow's
ear!

Nice weekend,

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist