Nothing is cheaper than a passive humidification chamber made out of a couple of old trash cans.  Just let the maps sit in there for a few hours, flatten under glass, and you are done.

Kim Allen Scott

Special Collections Librarian

Montana State University

From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Douglas Baldwin
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2006 3:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: unrolling and treating maps

Hello List,

I am a volunteer at a local historical society and there are several maps in their collection that have remained rolled up for a significant amount of time by a prior caretake of the library. These maps need to be unrolled and stored flat in an archival box/folder, however because of the amount of time they have remained rolled, I know they will need to be treated somehow to be able to store them flat and not have them re-roll or cause other types of damage to them.

I was hoping some of you out there have dealt with maps in these conditions and could provide some guidance on any procedures or treatments that would be cost effective (this of course being the operative criteria). They have little to no library budget so if there is a safe, cost effective way to get these maps flat without damaging them, I'd like to learn about it

Thanks

-Doug Baldwin