If your shelves are metal: magnets, outside the plastic. Not near the
electronic media!!

As far as raising and lowering, this might need some evaluation for
an archival application, but there dozens of home decor books that
give directions on making window treatments. I am thinking something
like a roller shade over each range might be fairly easy to raise and
lower. Not sure what the activity would do to the efficacy of the
polyester sheeting.

Gypsye Legge
MLIS 05
On Jun 13, 2006, at 12:08 AM, ARCHIVES automatic digest system wrote:

> Date:    Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:47:42 -0400
> From:    Beth Kleber <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: polyester sheeting

> --Boundary_(ID_iR1ER/HSx2NLKYU8u1jgPg)
>
> I'd posted a while ago about protection from water damage.  Our
> insurance company is requiring we do something to protect our
> collections from water damage that might result from leaks from the
> floor above, a burst pipe, sprinklers, etc.  We're now looking into
> covering our shelves and flat files with polyester sheeting but are
> unsure of the best way to secure the sheeting.  We're also looking
> for a
> mechanism that will make it relatively easy to raise and lower the
> sheeting in order to access the collections.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks,
> Beth Kleber
>
> --

Librarians are almost always very helpful and often almost absurdly
knowledgeable. Their skills are probably very underestimated and
largely underemployed.
— The Social Audit Consumer Handbook, Macmillan, 1978, p. 41
  Charles Medaw