Interesting topic - and it speaks to ALL the hats I've worn!  Having
held positions as Archivist and Special Collections Librarian, and
having had responsibilities for archives, manuscript collections and
rare books collections all at the same institution, I fall in the camp
of those who see the blurring of lines between all of these positions...
Currently serving as an archival studies educator in a School of
Information Studies, I continue to see these lines blur as discussions
about theory, practice and technology cross between "traditional
library" and archives topics.  What impact this has on salaries is a
matter for further research and discussion.  For the time, though, the
A*CENSUS may provide us with a little current information - doesn't it
separate out salary by self-identified "title?"  Perhaps someone
involved with the project could give us a run-down of this dynamic, and
how it might be represented?

How we educate future archivists is key to this, too, and it's good that
this is being discussed...  For our part, the University of Wisconsin
Milwaukee offers an (online or on site) MLIS, with extensive coursework
in archives.  We also offer a Certificate of Advanced Study in Archives
and Records Management, which is a short 5 course (15 credit) program
designed for professionals who have already received their MLIS, but who
would like an archives background that they couldn't achieve in their
program.  It's also ideal for individuals who have been in the library
world for a while, but who would like to shift their careers into
archives.  For more information about our programs, you can see our
entry in SAA's Directory of Archival Education at
http://www.archivists.org/prof-education/edd-listing.asp?id=44  or you
may contact me directly.

Best,

Amy