Apologies for re-sending -- the second part of my
message didn't make it through cyberspace!

credentials are "better," as a Ph.D. candidate in
history, I'm getting excluded from consideration for
many archivist positions because I do not have the
MLS, though I am academically and professionally
trained to be an archivist.

I don't think that there's a right way to go about
becoming an archivist -- whether it's from a graduate
history perspective or a MLS perspective. This has
long been a debate in the archival world.

There are definite pros & cons to each, and it depends
to some degree on what kind of archives you would
ultimately like to work in. The MLS route provides
solid preparation in information management,
cataloguing, etc., while the subject specialty route
provides you with more expertise in a particular area.
Regardless of the program you choose, I think the
themes in the discussion about the need for
collaboration, keeping up with technological advances
relevant to the profession, and the ever-evolving
nature of the field make either approach a good one to
achieving your goal of becoming an archivist.

Beth Moser

A. Elizabeth Moser
Ph.D. Candidate, History
NAU