From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Peter Kurilecz
Sent: Monday, June 19, 2006 8:28 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Education, certification and the job market

This has been a really interesting discussion. sort of like the "how
many angels fit on the head of a pin" discussion that theologians
would have. Folks in records management are amazed at the amount of
education one must have for a profession that rarely pays north of the
$25k boundary.

While all the talk about archival theory is great and good, what I
haven't heard anyone talk about is classes about project planning,
budgeting, marketing etc. All areas that one can use in archives.

One thing to remember is that education does not stop when you get the
sheepskin. A good professional will always seek out additional
training in order to expand their knowledge base and their skillset.

Someone mentioned that certification is also another avenue. consider
becoming a certified archivist or certified records manager, or
getting your CDIA+ designation.

Thirty years ago I would have laughed if you told me I would be
working for a computer software company and learning the
inner-workings of the software. Little did I know then that I would be
learning how to configure a software system, learning how to write
rules and process flows in order to capture records to ensure their
authenticity, integrity, useability, etc well before they would be
seen by an archivist.

so if you feel that your skills are not being fully appreciated
consider looking at the other side of the fence. Come on over to
records management, where the opportunities are many and the pay is
very good. ;-)

peterk

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va

For the terms of participation, please refer to

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES