I usually don’t get involved in these discussions, but what the hey.  I started working in libraries in high school as a page, reshelving books. My first job out of college was as an archives processor.   My formal education is a Master’s in history and a MLIS with an archives concentration.  I have many years experience in museums and not until 1994 did I get my MLIS.  I am glad I have both, and since I do a load of cataloging, and sit at the reference desk in our library, I find the MLIS invaluable.

Barbara Austen

Manuscript Archivist / Cataloger

The Connecticut Historical Society Museum

One Elizabeth Street

Hartford, CT  06105

(860) 236-5621, ext. 251

Fax: (860) 236-2664