-----Original Message-----
From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Charlotte Coats

>Huh?  So are you saying someone can purchases photos, let's assume they
are
>not copyrighted, and you can charge more or less depending on their
use...?
>what if they're public domain photos, for this purpose no copyright
>issues...but you have say the only copies of the photos...why would you
>care
>what the use will be?  or is it strictly a money issue...they will
generate
>a revenue from the photos so that justifies charging more...

Seems to me the charges should be based on, costs of materials and
reproduction with a say 15% profit margin....

Yes, exactly right - it's a money issue.  I would (and do) charge
different prices depending on what use the recipient intends to make of
the photo.  A small local historical society will be charged much much
less than a TV company.

Copyright is a red herring here - that simply influences the terms of
trade.  But if Party A has possession of a scare resource desired by
Party B the market between the two of you will decide what is the
"correct" price - because if Party A charges too much Party B either
won't pay, or will pay, but won't come back for more.

To save you having to haggle with every customer you set some standard
charges, but make sure that these give you flexibility for special
cases.

Regards

Richard Taylor

This e-mail and attachments are intended for the named addressee only and are confidential. If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the sender immediately, delete the message from your computer system and destroy any copies. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and may not reflect the views of the National Museum of Science & Industry. This email has been scanned for all viruses by the MessageLabs Email Security System.