In the UK, I am unaware of archives closing shop, but vacations are very
serious matters for Europeans.  Many UK attractions are open, particularly
National Trust properties or elegant estates and parks, moreso in summer
than colder months; during the latter, maintenance, silver polishing, and
other tasks are done. Tourist numbers are certainly less in cooler months; I
like to go in February or March, and most estate homes open to public,
aren't, at that time of the year. I've never been to a National Trust
property that disappointed; regrettably, there is nothing in this country
that approaches the National Trust. I read that library funding around the
country is being cut, so hours might vary widely relative to location,
council policy, etc.

Hours for shops and petrol stations are less than you find in this country.
Here many stores are open until 9PM; not necessarily so in the UK. Along the
motorways you will find petrol stations open 24-hours, but likely not so too
many other places.....  If travels take you to the UK, be sure to pop in to
a large TESCO or Sainsbury's. These are major grocery chains. Often one of
their superstores is at the edge of town, and the carpark area is shared
very efficiently with other merchants clustered in the 'complex.'  The Brits
were way ahead of the US by quite a few years on really decent superstores
of this sort, are far  more efficient in use of land, and are every bit as
good, if not better, than what we have in this country. Many superstores
there also have their own petrol stations out front, an idea which is
finally catching on here; they've had it for years there.  By the way,
petrol was about $6/imperial gallon in February.

One eerily pleasant thing, at least in the UK and likely elsewhere on the
continent in summer, is the very L-O-N-G daylight hours. It is light enough
at 9:30 or 10:00 PM in many parts of the UK, such that one can walk about
towns and villages safely. Of course, no shops are open then, but it is a
great time to explore towns and villages, the architecture, parks
(er....gardens), etc.  One of my fondest memories is browsing around
Salisbury one evening until about 10PM, with plenty of natural light.

Sharon Lee Butcher, MLS, MSO

Reference Librarian

AEDC Technical Library

100 Kindel Drive, Ste C212