Speaking for the UK (assuming you were including us in "Europe" ?)  late
June to early September is the busiest time for cultural and heritage
attractions, and all will be opening their longest hours with a very few
exceptions.  Parliament and the media tend to wind down in August (the silly
season) and that's peak time for families with children to take holidays,
but armies of student summer workers are drafted in to fill the gaps to keep
things going.

Far from being shut down, it can all get rather busy!  If you had a choice
as to when to come to (northern) Europe/the UK then my favourite time for a
holiday is May/June.  The late spring weather is warming up by then, all
attractions are open, but all the schools and colleges are in the middle of
exam season, so there are relatively few families on holiday, accommodation
prices are cheaper and public transport less crowded.

Also, to echo Sharon Butcher, you can take advantage of the short nights.
The UK is roughly on the same latitude as Hudson's Bay, but thanks to the
Gulf Stream is a bit more temperate.  Here in Yorkshire at this time of year
it's still light past 10:00pm, and you get even more daylight if you travel
up into Scotland.  In the Far North it hardly gets dark at all.

Richard Taylor