Dear expert colleagues,

I am trying to find the records of two former New York publishing
companies. Each of these companies published works by my research
subject, the Rev. WDP Bliss, in the late 19th century--so what I'm
hoping to find is any existing correspondence between him and his publishers.

The companies are:

1) Humboldt Publishing Company, which published a Social Science
Library in the 1890s that included several books edited by Rev.
Bliss. Humboldt also published a series call the Humboldt Library of
Popular Science. Its location in 1891 was 28 Lafayette Place.

2) The famous Funk & Wagnalls (no jokes, please), which published
Bliss's best-known (relatively speaking) work, the _Encyclopedia of
Social Reform_ (1897), and revised versions of that invaluable volume
in 1908 and 1910.

I can't find a trace of Humboldt Publishing, and Funk & Wagnalls
seems to have been bought a couple of times in the past century, so I
was hoping for suggestions as to where the records of these companies
might be. I have done some searching, but am probably overlooking
something glaringly obvious to someone who knows corporate archives
or the publishing biz or New York better than I do.

Answers off-list will be fine, since I can't imagine that many people
are interested.

Thank you!

Janet Olson
Assistant University Archivist
and Fellow, Alice Berline Kaplan Center for the Humanities
Northwestern University
1970 Campus Drive
Evanston, IL 60208
(847) 491-3136