I've found that people are often very impressed with visual aids, so what you may want to do is get hold of a few examples of some documents that are in bad shape and show the "Powers That Be" what can happen if things are not maintained in a sound manner. The more important the damaged document, the better. Seeing is believing, and it may convince them that something needs to be done to better preserve their materials.

Anyway, just a thought.

Joe Gillette
NARA - College Park