I can verify this. We had a disastrous flood in 2004 that wiped out the
basement, including the electrical system. We were on generators for
months, and now have a temporary connection to a distant supplier. The new
setup will be a separate building, outside the library building, and
raised off the ground 10 feet or so.

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> For something like NARA, having contracts in place might be as
> good/better choice than maintaining generators. There would be a good
> chance that the generator would be in the basement like the one in
> the Cohen Building (HHS-North) for VOA.
If the flood took out electrical switchgear and HVAC equipment in NARA I,
there's a good chance that the genset would be flooded as well.