From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ashley McLendon
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2006 3:24 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Accessioned?

Dear List,

At our repository we have a hodgepodge of items from different eras...therefore different ways of accepting donations.  We are currently trying to get on track.  I would like to know if any of you know the ethical/legal answer to the following:

If there are items with what we deem as "old numbers" from an old/no-longer-existent museum and no paperwork transferring ownership to the museum--it is legally ours...more specifically should we consider it already "accessioned?"

Thank you & happy 4th of July!

Kind Regards,

Ashley McLendon

Archivist

Mississippi Armed Forces Museum

Camp Shelby, MS

Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min. A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.