At 12:17 PM 7/5/2006, Maynard S. Clark wrote:

I guess my question at present relates to how we "empower" volunteers to do this kind of work in a distributed way.

This is always a challenge. A model might be the Shoah Foundation (Google it) started by Steven Spielberg in conjunction with Shindler's List. Here, volunteers went out to all corners of the world and brought back video interviews. The urgency was, of course, that people with first-hand knowledge were aging and few would survive another decade or three.

One of the technical challenges is maintaining quality -- and then preserving the archive.

Two sites you didn't mention are Andy Kolovos's site at the Vermont Folklife Center about recording Oral History, an Oral History blog that a friend of mine just started, and (of course) my Web site for some of the technical arcanities of media formats, mostly tape.

http://www.vermontfolklifecenter.org/res_audioequip.htm

http://familyoralhistory.us/

http://www.richardhess.com/tape/   and especially the "blog" portion
http://www.richardhess.com/notes/

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,

Richard

Maynard S. Clark  [log in to unmask]
http://360.Yahoo.com/maynardclark
"Making  connections  for   plant-based  diets"
Vegetarian Resource Center   (since 1993)
P. O. Box 38-1068; Cambridge, MA 02238-1068 USA
617-571-4794 (cell)

Richard L. Hess                   email: [log in to unmask]
Aurora, Ontario, Canada       (905) 713 6733     1-877-TAPE-FIX