In a slightly late response to Doug's question about education for
people who act as archivists for small groups, organizations, etc., and
need training... I don't know what other states have in place, but New
York has a network of nine Regional Archivists. These people don't have
a "regional archive," but rather serve in an advisory capacity for
archivists of all levels in their region--everything from the highly
trained college archivist to the untrained volunteer archivist for a
small historical society (when I served as Regional Archivist for the
Southeastern NY region, I spoke to one woman at a historical society who
said "I missed the meeting, so they appointed me as the archivist.")

The program varies by region, but many of the regions provide site
visits where they will look at the location and collection and make
recommendations. They also provide workshops on basic archiving skills
(arrangement and description, etc.) One of the workshops helps people
apply for grants from the State Archives for money for projects such as
organization, etc.

Christine

Christine Crawford-Oppenheimer
Information Services Librarian
Conrad N. Hilton Library:
http://www.ciachef.edu/admissions/about/library.asp
The Culinary Institute of America
1946 Campus Drive
Hyde Park, NY  12538
(845) 451-1322
fax (845) 451-1092

Learn more about The World's Premier Culinary College
at www.ciachef.edu

>>> Doug Ayers <[log in to unmask]> 06/19/06 10:26 AM >>>
[...]
I think there are many small institutions that have an archives, but
will
never have a formally trained archivist.  These are probably not full
time
positions and volunteers may be the only staff.  In fact, I bet there
are
more "archivists" of this type than those who get an MLIS and other
higher
ed. archivist training.

How can this group  get the basic training that doesn't  require
enrolling
in college?
The needs are pratical and not theoritical.

Doug Ayers
The Potomac School
1301 Potomac School Road
McLean, VA 22101

703-882-2220

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES