Of late I've become interested in preserving the vegetarian memory and heritage by digitally recording elders who remember the earlier days of vegetarian organizing from the beginning of the previous century, the Vegetarian Hotel in New York (run by Fanny Shaffer), the antivivisectionist, the natural hygienists, the Jewish vegetarian societies, and Episcopal and other Christian vegetarian societies, the Seventh Day Adventists, and the several attempts at forming a Vegetarian Party in the USA.

I've looked at the materials provided by the Tape Transcription Center of Boston (www.TTCTranscriptions.com) which give a great deal of good advice about purchasing suitable equipment or adapting other equipment with minimal purchases, and effective interviewing and recording techniques.  That seems very helpful, and

This would need to be a hobby and done only sporadically, though I'm hoping to develop a talk or series of talks and some magazine articles about it (for vegetarian media - www.NAVS-Online.org) which can then empower others to do the interviewing and to archive their audio somewhere for transcription later.

I guess my scope is largely North America (www.VegetarianSummerfest.org), though this summer (in September) I'll be in Goa, India, for the 2006 World Vegetarian Congress, where opportunities for interviewing vegetarians of many years will be abundant.  www.IVU.org

I guess my question at present relates to how we "empower" volunteers to do this kind of work in a distributed way.

Maynard S. Clark  [log in to unmask]
http://360.Yahoo.com/maynardclark
"Making  connections  for  plant-based  diets"
Vegetarian Resource Center   (since 1993)
P. O. Box 38-1068; Cambridge, MA 02238-1068 USA
617-571-4794 (cell)