Jenn-

>> Is there an inexpensive method to combat the mold infestation?

If you have visible mold and pages stuck together, your inexpensive
options are nil. Dehumidifiers and extra fans ($$$) can probably stop
additional mold, but the damage is done and mold will quickly return if
the high RH returns.

>> How can we determine if these magazines are so damaged they may be
beyond the point of no return?  Is there some standard gage that we can
be directed to?

As long as the magazines are legible, they can almost certainly be
saved, but the cost can be very high. It becomes a question of how much
they are worth to you.

>>Is there any way to combat placing potentially moldy items with items
that were spared?

When the RH and temperature are down, mold goes dormant, so it is safe
to store moldy and spared materials in the same area BUT only if the
area has good air circulation, a cool temperature (~70 or below) and low
RH (below 40%. If you decide to do this, check things regularly.

Personally, under the circumstances you describe, I'd trash everything
that is even suspect, because mold can spread. In addition, some mold is
pretty toxic and some people are especially susceptible to it, so you
may be letting yourself open to a lawsuit or ten. Your attorneys will
love that news!

Good luck,
Michael McColgin
Conservation Officer
Arizona State Archives

The ideas expressed above are mine alone.