From: Brent Burgin [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:47 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Native American Studies protocols and best practices

Hello....

I am a long arranger presently in the process of
opening a Native American Studies Archive. The Thomas
J Blumer Research Collection will be located at the
University of South Carolina Lancaster and contains a
large body of materials collected by the donor over a
forty year period. These documents pertain to the
Catawba Indians, the only federally recognized tribe
within the state of South Carolina. Their pottery is
simply incredible, definitely Pre-Columbian and the
tradition may go back 4000 years. Dr. Blumer has also
collected over 1000 pieces  which will also ultimately
be housed in this area and be a corollary to this
collection.

I have thousands of slides, photographs and many oral
histories from the Catawba.

However, I am seeking assistance from other archivists
familiar with Native American collections. I have been
in contact with the University of Northern Arizona and
have been studying their protocols. I am also trying
to develop a good working relationship with the
Catawbas but there is currently a serious dispute on
the reservation. Tribal members have had an election
and voted the current administration out, yet they
refuse to leave the longhouse and contend the election
was illegally held and they are the legitimate
governing body. Our donor is somehwat strongly
identified with either the legitimate or dissident
faction, depending upon whose side one is on.
Therefore confusion exists as to whom the legitimate
tribal governing body is. I have worked very hard to
steer a neutral course and will continue to do so.

At a recent pow-wow I met a wonderful lady who asked
when we would have the oral history tapes restored.
She wanted very much to hear her mothers voice again
and let her grandchildren hear also. I would very much
like to give her a tape, but what are the legalities?
I  recently met a former senior tribal member who has
a large collection of papers that he may possibly
donate to this institution. He does not want to sign a
deed of gift however...because of the way a Native
American is historically  treated every time he signs
a paper with the white man...I can certainly
understand his feelings and frustrations, yet is there
a way around this?

Perhaps I ramble a bit here..but I want to ensure the
goodwill of the Native Americans who will be vetting
and using this archive. I also need to know what other institutions have
done in regards to sharing materials and establishing relationships with
Native American cultures.

Please reply on or off list. I would especially
appreciate responses from Native Americans and tribal archivists.

Your responses and candor are appreciated and needed.

Thanks for your time.

Brent Burgin
Archivist
USC Lancaster