My staff bought me a cake for my birthday several years ago. It was a
beautiful round layer cake with fancy frosting flowers and someone even
brought in a real cake knife to cut it. So I thanked everybody and started
cutting large triangular pieces for everyone. As I cut out the first wedge,
one of the staff quite indignantly and loudly blurted out "That's not how
you cut a cake!!" Then there was this nodding and agreement amongst some of
the staff that I indeed "didn't know how to cut a cake". So I just gave up
and let them cut the cake and so I blurted out "That's how you cut a
wedding cake and I want a big wedge not a little slice like that" And so
later my one of the young people who I always talked football with said,
"They just wanted to run you down about cutting your birthday cake" and so
ever since I am always suspicious when staff gives me a birthday cake and
brings in a big knife to cut it with. Mark Patrick