Meant to send this to the entire list and not just Patrick

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Jul 11, 2006 8:21 AM
Subject: Re: [ARCHIVES] Disaster preparedness in public libraries
To: Patrick ngulube <[log in to unmask]>

On 7/11/06, Patrick ngulube <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> One senior
> librarian was very critical of my presentation as he felt that disaster
> preparedness was not a major concern for public librarianship. I
> disagreed with him.

It most definitely is a major concern. one need only look back at the
disaster that struck the University Library in Hawaii last year.
Disaster preparedness is a very broad term. A disaster could be as
minor as an overflowing toilet that is on the second floor and leaks
down onto the stacks on the first floor, or a power outage that lasts
for hours.  Or it could be a tornado that roars through an area
destroying everything in sight.

the problem is most folks think of disaster preparedness in terms of
the major catastrophic events.

the ARMA International bookstore has items that folks should consider purchasing

Emergency Management for Records and Information Programs
Virginia A. Jones CRM and Kris E. Keyes
ISBN 0933887-98-1

Manager's Guide to Contingency Planning for Disasters
Kenneth N. Myers
ISBN 0-471-35838-X

http://www.arma.org/bookstore/search.cfm
--