Hello List,

Interesting discussion on improving staff morale I've been reading lately. I think one thing that's important to point out, however, is the fact that any gift/gesture of
appreciation that is given to recognize your employees should have some measure
of sincereity and genuine sentiment attached to it.

Yesterday I attended a staff-wide picnic today that recognized the employees and family members of the National Guard Bureau, the agency where I work as a contract archivist for the Army National Guard. I was struck how appreciative the officers of the Bureau were for all the different agencies for their work of all types within the organization. One of the Guard Generals even sent out an office-wide e-mail that encouraged the different work divisions to attend this function, which reached several hundred people. Civilian contractors, like myself, were welcomed by the Bureau. This wasn't anything elaborate, but it wa! s a nic e change from the usual midweek routine.  I was happy simply by the fact that my mere presence is appreciated; it's not an issue of money or material goods.

By contrast, when I was recognized for 5 years of service to the University Library for which I formerly was employed by this past March, I received a small, crappy University logo magnet and two pieces of chocolate. I thought it was a remarkably cheap and petty gesture on the Library administration's part. For that length of service, I really felt it was a pitiful "recognition" for my work. But I'm certain the administrator in question logged this on to her service accomplishments for the academic year to further pad her own vita.   This debacle was only tempered by the knowledge that I would only be working there for a few more
weeks.  A"morale booster" like this was on par with the one tiny candy cane and University paraphenalia that the Library's staff received dur! ing the Christmas season last year, from the same administrator.  No one needs token gifts given to them under these kind of pretenses. It's a transparent gesture.

I just can't believe the lack of respect a few people in high places display toward their rank and file employees who, in actuality, move along some important projects and make things go forward for the whole organization without complaint.   It shows a great deal of contempt.

True story.  Just something to chew on.

Bill Boehm
Arlington VA