Dear Ashley,

There was a recent discussion on this list that included a good explanation of the value of EAD and XML for improving delivery of finding aids and searchability that will get web-based researchers to what they are seeking more efficiently and make our collections accessible to more people.

I have implemented and used PastPerfect with an organization that has museum objects, a circulating library, rare books, archives, manuscript and photograph collections. PastPerfect has worked reasonably well for them, but its Web interface to search the database leaves something to be desired. It is possible to translate the information from the PastPerfect database into other formats, either hiring the company to do it or doing it yourself. I don’t know where they are with EAD conversion, but I don’t see why it couldn’t be done. This translation could allow a museum to contribute records to one of the many regional consortia providing EAD-based access to finding aids and digital objects.

I am associated with the Northwest Digital Archives Project, which is a consortium of archives, historical societies, etc., in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. Currently, a contractor is translating information from several databases into EAD for the consortium. See the NWDA website at http://nwda.wsulibs.wsu.edu

EAD provides you with flexibility in using your information over the long term, and I consider it a useful tool to add to your repertoire. I don’t know off-hand of any on-line courses, but perhaps others on this list can provide you with that information as you investigate EAD. Best wishes.

Sharon M. Howe, Processing Archivist

Washington State Archives Central Branch

Bledsoe-Washington Building

400 E. University Way MS7547

Ellensburg, WA 98926-7547

Phone: 509-963-2136