>  #1 sends me a letter that betrays total panic, and asking if the
> other person is #2.
> It is.
> What is MY responsibility to either of these researchers?

This really isn't as thorny as researcher #1 is leading you to believe.

Your responsibility is to make your records available to both of them, as
completely as you can, on an equal footing. Period.

> Of course I
> would not mention names to either of them, but does #1's "seniority"
> in the search in some way preclude my giving access to #2?

Absolutely not.

And no, you're  not at liberty to reveal #2's name to #1 or vice versa.
You're taking the correct approach there.

> #1 cannot come to do research until December, while #2 is coming some
> time in July....

Then #2 gets access when he/she arrives, and #1 gets access when he/she
arrives. If #1 should beg, cajole, bribe, etc. to restrict access to #2,
then your answer is a polite no (and if necessary a not so polite no). And
I'm not joking about that last one - I really have had patrons offer me
money to keep collections away from other researchers. Stand your ground
and don't let either of these researchers intimidate you.

Good luck!

Carole Prietto
Daughters of Charity, West Central Province
St. Louis