I'm headed out of town for a family vacation tomorrow, but wanted to once again say thanks to everyone who so kindly responded to my post about tours and visits in Austin.  I've written some of you individually, but those that I didn't have time to get to, thanks very much; once again I find myself marveling at how I ever learned anything before this list came along!

One last RAINdrop from Utah, sort of; this was discussed on the list a while back, the practice of editing films to remove "objectionable language, sex and violence," for those of tender sensibilities or sensitive scruples.  This has been a booming business here in Utah--especially down'ta Provo and Utah valley--since the movie "Titanic," when a local busybody, I mean entrepeneur, edited out the scene of Kate Winslet's breasts, but left in the hours of thousands of people dying agonizing deaths.  Since then these outlets have proliferated.  Naturally, studios, directors, and so on fought this from day one and now the courts have determined that the practice is illegal.

Roy Webb

Utah film sanitizers ordered to cut it
Court ruling: Deleting objectionable language, sex and violence injures artistic expression

By Vince Horiuchi
The Salt Lake Tribune <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

It's the kind of ending Hollywood craves.
   After a bitter three-year legal battle involving Utah companies that sanitize movies on DVD and VHS tape, a federal judge in Denver ruled Thursday that such editing violates U.S. copyright laws and must be stopped.
   In a ruling in the case involving CleanFlicks vs. 16 of Hollywood's hottest directors, U.S. District Judge Richard P. Matsch found that making copies of movies to delete objectionable language, sex and violence hurts studios and directors who own the movie rights.
   "Their [studios and directors] objective . . . is to stop the infringement because of its irreparable injury to the creative artistic expression in the copyrighted movies," the judge wrote in a 16-page decision. "There is a public interest in providing such protection. Their business is illegitimate."

http://www.sltrib.com/search/ci_4026743