From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Maarja Krusten
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 3:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Evacuation Plans

Hi, Jeanne!

If you Google the terms employee evacuation plan and purse, you'll see
that there are a lot of websites with plans or guidance.

Although it does not mention personal belongings, it also is worth look
at what Homeland Security states at its http://www.ready.gov website:
http://www.ready.gov/business/st1-makeevacplan.html
See also
http://www.ready.gov/business/st1-empwellbeing.html
As the guidance at
http://www.access-board.gov/evacplan.htm
notes, you need to make plans to assist employees or visitors with
disabilities.

It's human nature to want to have some "stuff" with you.  Your plan
needs to take that into account, it seems.

My personal advice to people is, if you have items that you must or want
to have (meds, eyeglasses, contact lens cases, cellphones, wallets,
keys), either try to carry your purse with you wherever you go (if a
woman) or wear clothes with lots of pockets to keep things in.  Or, buy
one of those larger size badge or passport holders that travellers
sometimes use and wear that around your neck with keys, etc., if you
like.   I always take my purse to meetings that occur outside my
immediate office.  If you look at
http://www.dol.gov/odep/pubs/ep/part2a.htm
that is one of the suggestions made by the Department of Labor.

Some campus plans do suggest that people take personal belongings with
them when they evacuate.  See
www.police.ucsf.edu/documents/EmergencyProcedures.pdf   The National
Park Service, a Federal government agency, offers similar advice on the
emergency flip chart at
www.cr.nps.gov/museum/publications/ conserveogram/21-11.pdf, stating:

"Take: your keys, purse and /or briefcase. Don't attempt to take large
or heavy objects."

Plenty of advice out there, so try Google and see what best suits your
facility.

Good luck!

Maarja

>>> Jeanne Gaunce <[log in to unmask]> 7/12/2006 4:16 PM >>>
All

I have been working on an Evacuation Plan with other members of our
Library faculty and staff.  Right now I'm writing a section on leaving
the building without personal belongings.  It has become a touchy
subject between those on the committee.  The consensus is that if you
are sitting at your desk, you may grab your purse/backpack.  This gives
rise to arguments of "I'm only x steps away from my desk, let be get my
stuff. . . "

I think the language we use must be clear, if not stern.  Bottom line is
I'm looking for examples of language to use in this section of our
Evacuation Plan.  Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Jeanne Gaunce, MLIS, CA

University Archivist/Reference Librarian

Cameron University

Lawton, OK 73505-6377

580-581-5565

Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org.
For the terms of participation, please refer to

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES