Hello all.  I am in the process of researching different types of MLS/MA programs with the end
result being to become a professional archivist.  The research I have done has left me totally
confused, as there would appear to be limitless options.  What I do know is this, in the next few
years I hope to be employed in a job where I work with lots of "old stuff," i.e. primary source docs,
historical newspapers.   That being said, here are my questions:

1)  There seems to be quite a lot of debate on the benefits/drawbacks of a standard MLS with an
emphasis on archives vs. a MA in Public History.  What is the real story here?

2)  In terms of price, the range is pretty wide open for the MLS track.  Queens College - CUNY here
in NYC, costs approximately $9000 in tuition, whereas University of Washington - Seattle is about
$40,000, Long Island University is about $31,000 and so on.  But, the curriculums and course
descriptions look remarkably similar.  Most demand the 4-6 core MLS courses, which to my eyes
seem the same everywhere, followed by the electives in my case archives courses.  What accounts
for this wide range in tuitions?

3)  Are certain programs known to be more rigorous than others, or do all ALA certified schools
follow the same general guidelines?

4)  I am a dual citizen of the U.S and Canada, and there are a few programs up in Canada, such as
http://www.slais.ubc.ca/ and http://www.fis.utoronto.ca/index.htm, which are very reasonably
priced and look quite decent.  Would employers in the United States have less respect for someone
with an MLS from from Canada?

For the record, my wife and I are totally open to the idea of moving somewhere to do this degree.

Daniel