There are an incredible number of options and pathways to get this
done. The best "do it all" solution that I have seen -- and I'm very
excited about it and am considering purchase of one -- is the Epson V750-M PRO
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63056500

It scans to 6400 dpi so you can use it for 35 mm transparencies and
negatives and will scan up to an 8 x 10 transparency or negative at
4800 dpi. Max read area 8.5 x 11.7"

DMax 4.0, comes with Digital ICE. Scans about 90 lines a second ~ 36
seconds for a 300 dpi scan of an 11-inch long item.

The Pro kit comes with scanning fluid so you can do a wet scan just
like a drum scanner if that's your wont.

As I said, on paper, this one looks like a required unit to evaluate.
I have the much lower end Epson Perfection Photo 1660 and am pleased
with the results. For me it's a choice between the multi-purpose
V750-M and a Nikon Coolscan, which is 35 mm only. The Epson V750-M
Pro is $800 in the U.S. ($1000 here). The Nikon is about $2000 with feeder.

Cheers,

Richard