Thanks for waking us up, LOL.  Peter and Dan both make some good
points.  I would guess the difference would be between your taking an
book or an article that an author wrote, and editing it, perhaps even
removing some salient points, and possibly thereby skewing his original
thesis or conclusions.  And then posting it or publishing it somewhere
as if it constituted his work.  As opposed to going to the author and
saying, hey, we'd like to publish a shorter version, can we work out a
way to edit it down and condense it with your permission.  (For
example, wouldn't Reader's Digest have to get permission to produce a
condensed version of a previously published work, for example?  They
couldn't just go ahead and do whatever they wanted with a work for
which someone else held the copyright.)

Others here on the List have more expertise in copyright matters than
I, of course, this is just my two cents.

Maarja