On 7/19/06, Penny L Clark <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear Listserv:
> My library has been closed since Hurricane Rita (September 2005). We are
> anticipating re-opening in September 2006. We have been working off-site
> since then and have been unable to provide reference service to patrons.
> What I've wondered is how we can come back after so very long a time?  Has
> anyone been in a similar situation?

here are my thoughts. Assuming your question is "how do we let the
public know we are re-opened?"

1. set a date for your grand re-opening. if you don't set a date then
things will drag on. Work backwards from that date. what needs to be
done the week before, two weeks before, 3 weeks. before

2. work with the local news media. have them run stories (print and
TV) for weeks before the grand reopening to show what you have been
doing for the last year. These stories can explain why it has taken so
long. Get with you local talk radio program. have them do regular
segments no more than 5-10 minutes once a week giving an update to the
reopening project.

3. prepare special flyers and memorabilia. set up special displays
especially before and after photos. have you been documenting the work
for the past year with photos? if so display them.

4. make it a celebration. have a cake, balloons, a band whatever. have
one of the big ol' balloons that fly high above the car dealerships
along I-45 in Houston to attract attention.
have a chili cookoff, or BBQ cookoff anything that will attract folks
to the library.

5. have special shirts made up for the staff to wear during the week
after reopening so patrons can identify the staff. sounds hokey, but
it will work

6. contact local businesses to see if they will contribute items for
drawings. ask them what they did for an opening or reopening.

7. Treat the whole thing as if you are re-opening a business and you
want to get your customers back

good luck
--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA