My rule of thumb is about 3 document boxes per cubic
feet, since what you need is a rough idea of how many
boxes you will need to buy to process a collection.
And it is better to order more boxes than not having
enough.

Good luck!
Marisol

--- "Kure D. Croker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hello and thank you everybody,
>   I do recognize the many factors in how an
> unprocessed and processed collection can shrink
> and/or grow in size, and many of these factors have
> been well illustrated and reemphasized by my fellow
> listserve-ers...  Yet, the query of my original
> posting was motivated by a (naïve?) assumption that
> there might be some sort rule of thumb to use as a
> guide, especially when little to none of said
> materials are to be discarded into the dustbin of
> the archive’s history… Now, I am all the wiser and
> thusly ready to face the unknown... armed with my
> linear feet calculator, pencil, and paper…
>
>   Off to count the boxes!
>
>   Wish me luck!
>
>   Thanks again to everyone for their advice, and
> guidance.
>
>   Best --Kure
>

> "Kure D. Croker" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:34:15 -0700 (PDT)
> From: "Kure D. Croker" <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: One cubic foot unprocessed becomes how many
> cubic feet processed?
> To: [log in to unmask]
>
>   Hello All,
>   I am writing to see if anyone can provide me with
> an estimate and/or a standard number used for
> translating unprocessed collection size into
> processed collection size? For context --the
> collection largely consisted of photographic and
> paper materials.
>
>   Thank you for your time,
>   Kure Croker
>   Project Archivist
>   New York Transit Museum

> How have I been able to live so long outside Nature
> without identifying myself with it? Everything
> lives, moves, everything corresponds; the magnetic
> rays, emanating either from myself or from others,
> cross the limitless chain of created things
> unimpeded; it is a transparent network that covers
> the world, and its slender threads communicate
> themselves by degrees to the planets and stars.
> Captive now upon earth, I commune with the chorus of
> the stars who share in my joys and sorrows.
> --Gerard De Nerval
> Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo!
> Mail Beta.

> For the terms of participation, please refer to

> To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to
>       In body of message:  SUB ARCHIVES firstname
> lastname
>
> Or to do *anything* (and enjoy doing it!), use the
> web interface at
>
> http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/archives.html
>
> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt

Marisol Ramos, MA. MLIS
Librarian
Virginia Reid Moore Marine Research Library
Cabrillo Marine Aquarium
3720 Stephen M. White Drive
San Pedro, CA 90731

310-548-7594 (voice)