I normally avoid the discussion of copyright law as to me it is a
mystery wrapped in an enigma.

Nevertheless, I am compelled to note that the Texas State Legislature
maintains that public information may be copyrighted.  Specifically
Section 2054.052(e) of the Government Code provides that the Department
of Information Resources may:

	(e)  The department may:

		(1)  acquire, apply for, register, secure, hold,
protect, and renew under the laws of the State of Texas, the United
States, any state in the United States, or any nation:

			(B)  a copyright for an original work of
authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression, now known or
later developed, from which it can be perceived, reproduced, or
otherwise communicated, either directly or with the aid of a
machine or device;

To see the statute in context, go to
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/statutes/gv.toc.htm and, from there,
Chapter 2054.