At 01:24 PM 7/28/2006, Cheryl StadelBevans wrote:
>As a follow up to Lucy's message, I'd like to offer a couple of other
>pointers for getting around on the Metro.
>
>Especially during the day and crucially during rush hour, the local
>practice is to walk on the left and stand on the right when you're using
>the escalators. If you're travelling with anyone else, particularly a
>group, please stand one behind the other rather than side-by-side so that
>you're not blocking the "walking" lane. If you're travelling with a
>suitcase, please also hold it in front of or behind you when on the escalators.

I'm a former (and likely future) Metro user.

I used a metro system for the first time in nearly twenty years last
November, while attending the
SHA (Southern  Historical Association) convention in Atlanta and
experienced some problems
going down those long escalators. What worked for me was, while standing on
the right
side, holding onto the escalator on that side with both hands.

Elizabeth Whitaker
temporarily working in Hendersonville, NC, and still working on my thesis