I'm not an expert on contracting issues.  But if he took the photos while
working under contract to DOD (and presumably was paid through appropriated
funds), don't the photos belong to DOD?  In which case, wouldn't DOD have records
schedules to cover their disposition?  Of course, the photos he holds might be
duplicates of ones for which DOD received the originals.  I'm not a lawyer; I
can't speak to whether people would be allowed to keep copies of such items
that were created under the terms of a government contract.

Sorry to hear that your history of the base wasn't published, Roy, I would
love to have read it!

BTW, I recently read a fascinating book. _Waiting Wives:  The Story of
Schilling Manor, Homefront to the Vietnam War_ , by Donna Moreau.
(See
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/074347077X/103-0456666-3480645?v=glance&n=283
155 ).  It is based on Ms. Moreau's experiences and the oral history
interviews she did with some of the families that lived at the Air Force base in
Kansas.  I recommend it to anyone interested in the lives of military families
during the Vietnam War.

Maarja