Aren't I just the little poster today?  Here's a question that just came
up while I was having lunch with a friend:  he's a public historian, who
makes his living doing contract histories for government agencies like
the US Forest Service, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and occasionally,
the Dept. of Defense.  In the 1990s, he got a contract from DoD to do a
National Historic Register survey of Offutt Air Force base, formerly
Fort Crook; I actually sub-contracted a bunch of that and wrote a
history of the place that was never published.

So here's the question that came up: during this survey, he took
extensive photos of every building on the base, created or copied maps
of the whole place; in short, had pretty free access to the entire
facility.  That was in 1996.  We also did a survey of the Utah Test and
Training Range, the proving grounds west of Salt Lake City, in which we
were allowed to photograph the sites and roads and so on, except for
Dugway Proving Ground; we had to put our cameras away when we flew over
that.  Now, after 9/11 and with the Patriot Act in force, where does he
stand with this collection if he wants to donate it to a repository?

Roy Webb, C.A.
Multimedia Archivist
Special Collections
J. Willard Marriott Library