In a message dated 7/3/2006 11:00:54 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

Because the “collector” did not keep a good system of paperwork for the materials, our

attorneys took the position that it was up to a claimant to prove the item was a loan or how

it had come into the University’s possession.   That sounds harsh ethically, but clearly the

only way to prevent or halt multiple false claims.

I've run into this kind of thing--I've found stuff in collections of a small local history museum that had frequent periods without a professional.  The officers would "accept" things and the documentation and lack of documentation varied widely--depending on which officer happened to be around or even if anyone happened to be around.  And yes, I encountered the situation where a specific item was claimed by two different individuals, neither having  any documentation.

Yes, it really does happen, and you don't have to be talking about claims for internationally acclaimed art....

Holly
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.