Laura,

This might not be appropriate for your organization, but something that I
do here at the Bureau of the Public Debt is to recognize our anniversary.
It's not something that I originated, but rather something I appreciated
and borrowed from a former supervisor at the National Park Service in St.
Louis [thanks, Kathryn].  Each year on our "birthday," I buy a sheet cake
at Costco--for the record, out of my own pocket, less than $20--put it in
the employee break room, and send an email to all the staff to help
themselves.  It's low-key, and I try to make it fun.  Last year I had the
cake decorated "Celebrating 65 years of Debted Bliss," an oblique
reference to the ballooning federal debt that our bureau manages.  Good
luck!

Harry

Harry G. Heiss, Archivist
Bureau of the Public Debt