Hello Everyone,

I'm forwarding this query to the listserve in the hope that someone will be able to help. If you can, please reply directly to Shaun at <[log in to unmask]>.

Thanks Bob S.

Subject: The Read Family Papers
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 11:34:04 -0400
From: "Shaun C. Lighty" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
         HTML_NONELEMENT_30_40 autolearn=no version=3.0.3

Dear Mr. Schmidt,

I tried posting this directly to the listserv, but access was denied.  So I am writing you.

The Indiana Historical Society is preparing a comprehensive microfilm and electronic edition of the papers of Lew and Susan Wallace.  Lew Wallace is best-known as the author of Ben-Hur.  I’ve been working acquiring permissions to publish Wallace documents, and have reached a snag which I hope your listserv may be able to help.

We have photocopies of four documents that we wish to include in The Papers of Lew and Susan Wallace.  We found these documents on a research-only microfilm from the Smithsonian Institute’s Archives of American Art, and are trying to locate the actual manuscript collection from which the microfilm was produced.  Judy Throm at the Archives of American Art informed me that the Read family papers were filmed as a loan in 1972 from Denison Laws Burton.  Mr. Burton died in 1996, and Ms. Throm believed that the Read family papers might have been donated to Drew University.  Consequently, I contacted Cheryl Oestreicher, Drew University archivist, and the Read Family collection was not to be found there.

I’m hoping the Archives listserv may help us in finding the whereabouts of the Read Family papers.  The Reads in question would include Thomas Buchanan Read (1822-1872) and his wife Harriet Denison Read.

The specific documents we are seeking to publish are:

01/21/1887, Susan Wallace to [Harriet Denison] Read

01/29/1887, Susan Wallace to [Harriet Denison] Read

09/03/1862, Wallace to John B. Purcell

09/26/1862, Lew Wallace, Special Order No. 5

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you.

Mr. Shaun Chandler Lighty
Volunteer Editorial Assistant
Indiana Historical Society
450 West Ohio Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202-3269

Bob Schmidt
Archives Listserve Coordinator
Miami University Archives
Oxford, Ohio 45056
Tel: 513-529-6720
Email: [log in to unmask]
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.