At the Rare Book and Manuscript Library at the University of
Illinois a combination of a micro embosser and an non-acidic
ink stamp are used.  I don't recall how/where the ink stamp is
used, but the micro stamp is used on a "secret page".  The ink
stamp tends to be in an up-front, highly visible place, while
the micro stamp is relatively well-hidden.

My gut reaction to stamping books and manuscripts is that the
value of the item is being decreased.  On the other hand, if,
on the odd chance, the library deaccessions any of the
material, a certain value might be found in the indication of
provenance.  Just a thought.

Chris
Christopher R. Jones

Carl Sandburg Preservation Project