Personally, I think you need to be careful about asking staff to do things that cost money no matter how little you perceive it as a way to boost morale.  I worked in a place where morale was extremely low because of the incompetence of the manager (who had a penchant for calling staff on the carpet in front of others for the most minor of errors).  This place had a constant turn over of staff because the manager did not know how to deal with people and there was a lot of brown nosing and currying of favor to get on her good side which she encouraged.  Anyway the one thing she did for staff morale was to sponsor a potluck staff party for birthdays.  I use the term sponsor loosely because she or the company did not pay for any of it and demanded that staff sign up to bring food to the potluck.  If you did not bring food you were perceived as not being a team player.  There was a lot of staff resentment because we were not necessarily friendly to each other because of the
 acid environment engendered by the bad management of the place.  So not only did we feel forced to bring food but then we had to attend the party and make small talk with people that we may not have wanted to socialize with much.  Also the company did not even

  But also bringing in food to a party can cause minor irritations that can add to a morale problem rather than alleviate them.  It can cause resentments or staff maneuvering for favors.  Like Maarja said she did not want chocolate cake and had to mention that to get what she wanted.  Some lower staff may not feel as free to mention likes or dislikes...what if the person is allergic to chocalate or for that matter wheat (or any of the added ingredients to cakes...nuts any one?).  Also what if some people bring in more elaborate or expensive cakes then others?  This may be simply a matter of what people can afford.  Or what if there is someone who is dieting and would just rather not see cake or other sweets?  They may not actually be able to eat anything that is brought in and so how is that giving them any recognition?

  I say the card is a nice gesture but skip anything having to do with food.  It is too much a hot button issue these days.  And like others said I would much rather be treated with some respect and given some verbal recognition for work well done now and again then being force to attend a monthly staff get together.

  Andrea Matlak
  Archivist
  American Dental Association
  Chicago, IL

"Baker, Anne Marie" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  > she replied "Oh, well, we only do this for
> full-time staff members. Students are part time,

Ouch.

Our library does end-of-the semester parties on the "dead day" before
finals. The library administration handles the main dish (usually
sandwich fixings), then all the staff bring side dishes or dessert.
Graduating students get to be at the head of the line.

Someone mentioned the chintzy commemoration of their 5th anniversary
with their employer. I just had my 5th anniversary last month, and
other than a card from the President's Office, it wasn't noted in any
way. It didn't bother me, though, because I am regularly reminded that
I'm considered a valuable employee. I've been in places where that was
not the case, and it really does make a difference with morale.

Anne

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Anne M. Baker, Archivist
Missouri State University
Duane G. Meyer Library
901 S National Ave.
Springfield, MO 65897

Phone:(417) 836-4298 FAX:(417) 836-4764
Email: [log in to unmask]
http://library.missouristate.edu/Meyer/SpecColl/spcindex.htm

In body of message: SUB ARCHIVES firstname lastname
*or*: UNSUB ARCHIVES

Problems? Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt