From: Archives & Archivists [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Barbara Austen
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 9:49 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: marking manuscripts

Dear Colleagues:

At a staff meeting today our library director distributed the recently published “Guidelines for the security of rare books, manuscripts and other special collections” issued by ACRL’s RBMS.  Appendix one provides guidelines for marking manuscripts and rare books, while Section VII categorically states that materials themselves should be identified by a unique mark.  We are discussing using a stamp with our OCLC symbol and permanent ink to discreetly mark our manuscripts.  I don’t know how I feel about this.  The library director’s explanation was that since these manuscripts are going to be permanently retained by the institution, reducing the market value by stamping an item should not be of any concern.

Are other institutions marking manuscripts with a permanent stamp?  What were the pros and cons of doing so?

What a great question for a Friday!

Barbara Austen

Manuscript Archivist / Cataloger

The Connecticut Historical Society Museum

One Elizabeth Street

Hartford, CT  06105

(860) 236-5621, ext. 251

Fax: (860) 236-2664