I ordered the ink in May, got it within two weeks, and it is, indeed, still free.
Jaci Spuhler
----- Original Message -----
From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Amy Cooper Cary
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2006 9:14 AM
Subject: Re: marking manuscripts

Mary Lynn Ritzenthaler has some information on marking materials in her book, Preserving Archives and Manuscripts (SAA, 1993).  See p. 115.  In particular, she notes that a non-destructive method should be used, and notes that “The Library of Congress has made available a permanent, non-acidic ink specifically for the purpose of marking manuscripts.”  She advises repositories to contact the National Preservation Program Office, and ask for the ink (which as of 1993 was being provided free of charge) and a copy of a leaflet, “Marking Paper Manuscripts” (Preservation Leaflet No. 4.  Under revision at the time, so a new version may be out….)

Amy Cooper Cary

Amy Cooper Cary

Archival Studies Program Coordinator

School of Information Studies