Dear Ms. Slater:

Let me preface This by agreeing with Ellen Chapman.  You should
certainly become familiar with the ethics of the profession, and their
history of situational application.

It is my own rule that staff must never reveal the name OR the work of
one researcher to another.  This is especially sensitive when one knows,
or even suspects, that the research is being done toward an academic
degree.  Then indeed, panic is justified!

When client #2 comes along, I must offer to act as go-between.  I
explain that our repository does not make exclusive contracts with any
client.  Then I explain to #2 that he not alone in his interest in that
material, and further that I will inform #1 of His existence.  I explain
that this is the limit of the information I can share.  Then I explain
that, Only if Both parties so wish, I can put them in touch with one
another.  In all such matters, a paper trail is needed, in the event
that either party repents his decision.

Sincerely,

Judith A. Robins,
Collections Supervisor,