I work in a medium-sized public library, where special collections are
just a small part of this suburban system. However, I don't want to
_think_ of the cost of repairing a damaged Central library, or even any
of the branches. The public looks to the libraries to be open, available
and convenient, and extensive closings to repair damage does not fill
our mission. Also, these days smaller municipalities don't have a lot of
ready cash, and the cost to repair buildings, furniture, regular
collections, computers, etc. would put a burden on the county budget -
money issues may make repairs take longer than expected. And this
doesn't even cover the rare local history materials we have in our
building!

Taking the time to have a plan in place to get things going is not only
good for the collections, but makes the library look good to the rest of
the local government and the public by appearing in control and making
progress on the damage.

-Heather

Heather Crocetto
Archivist
Virginia Room, Arlington County Public Library
Phone: (703) 228-7724
Fax: (703) 228-7720
http://www.arlingtonva.us/Departments/Libraries/history/LibrariesHistory
Archives.aspx