Excellent advice from Bill, especially as regards the Chronicle.

As for jobs with the Federal government, the best place to look is
http://www.usajobs.gov/
Click on search jobs and search under the term historian or,
alternatively, under the GS series.  Federal historian jobs are posted
in series GS-170.

To see the classification standards for GS-170, Historian, take a look
at
www.opm.gov/FEDCLASS/gs0170.pdf

Until recently, I would have said that getting an archivist job is not
a bad way to start out.  I was a Federal archivist for 14 years and
have been a Federal historian for 16 years.  But the budget picture for
NARA looks very grim right now.  I have to caution you that my gut
feeling is that the outlook for hiring historians for permanent civil
service positions throughout the Federal government will remain pretty
bleak for the forseeable future.  Money is terribly tight for many
agencies these days.

I'll be posting a separate more general message/inquiry about H-Diplo
and H-Net shortly.

Good luck, Michelle!

Maarja