Last week, at the gift shop of the National Building Museum,  I bought the new book by Zachary Schrag, THE GREAT SOCIETY SUBWAY:  A HISTORY OF THE WASHINGTON METRO (The Johns Hopkins University Press, 2006).  It is about the design, construction and operation of the Washington DC Metro.  Looks really cool, I'm about to settle down to start reading it.  (Yes, I'm a bit of a railroad and rapid transit buff, I think I've mentioned how much I enjoyed seeing the RR museum in Altoona, PA.)

I was pleased to see that Mr. Schrag thanks and names many archivists and librarians who assisted him, noting, "Through years of research I depended on the expertise and patience of librarians and archivists in Washington and around the country."

I always beam when I see an author list the names of people who helped him do his research at archives and libraries. So, I thought members of the List would enjoy seeing the names of the people whom Mr. Schrag listed among the archivists and librarians:

-- Matthew Gilmore, (Mr. Schrag mentions the D.C. Public Library and at H-DC)
 -- Special Collections. Department of Gelman Library, George Washington University:  Bernadette Boucher, Francine Henderson, Jennifer King, Nancy Richards, Lyle Slovick, and La Nina Clayton
-- the Washingtoniana Division of the D.C. Public Library:  Peggy Appleman, Faye Haskins, and Susan Malbin.
-- Heather Crocetto and Ingrid Kauffman of the Arlington Public Library
-- Matthew Cook and Steven Peters at the Chicago Historical Society
-- Geir Gundersen of the Gerald R. Ford Library
-- Cindy Janke and Gail Rodgers McCormick of the Historical Society of Washington,
D.C.
-- Robert Tissing,the Lyndon Baines Johnson Library
-- Ron Sodano, the National Archives [Maarja's note:  Until a year or two ago, Ron was with the Nixon Presidential Materials Staff at Archives II]
-- Betsy Pittman,the University of Connecticut
-- Daniel Davis, the University of Wyoming
-- Tammy Beck,the Washington Research Library Consortium
-- Pat Hodges and Betty Yambrek, Western Kentucky University.

Mr. Schrag didn't just list these names, he added some nice comments about some of the people he thanked.  I didn't copy and paste from the book, but simply extracted the names.  He also thanks "other librarians and archivists at the D.C. Archives, the Fairfax County Public Library, George Mason University, the National Archives, and the Kennedy, Johnson, and Ford presidential libraries."

If you are one of the archivists or librarians listed, and want more info about the book and the acknowledgements, contact me off list!

Congrats, all!

Maarja
A posting from the Archives & Archivists LISTSERV List sponsored by the Society of American Archivists, www.archivists.org. For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.