From: Ellen Chapman [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:55 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Improving staff morale

We know what we will get - an incredible pot-luck spread. We have a big
celebration every spring for the library's 10, 20, and 30-year employees,
and the civil service employee-of-the-year award. People bring
incredible amounts and varieties of food and flowers/greenery. New
employees are staggered when they walk into the staff room and see the
laden tables. We do the same for retirees (usually bunched in June and
Dec.) and other occasions as needed. These takes place in mid-morning, but
there is plenty left over for people to have lunch, mid-afternoon snacks,
dinner, and take-home plates!

We also have fund-raisers for staff development: white-elephant sales,
making t-shirts and cards for special events. Some of the public exhibits
each year are about staff. Working on and attending these is great R&R.
Hawaii is a very sociable place.  Aloha,

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Carole Prietto wrote:

> > Each year on our "birthday," I buy a sheet cake
> > at Costco--for the record, out of my own pocket,
> > less than $20--put it in the employee break room,
> > and send an email to all the staff to help
> > themselves.
>
> In our building there's an interesting twist to that idea. We celebrate
> staff birthdays, and the person celebrating the birthday treats the entire
> staff (about 20 people)! What's fun about it is that each individual
> treats in his or her own way. Some bring home-baked goodies, others bring
> store-bought cake and punch, some go to a local bakery and bring bread or
> pastries. It's like the proverbial box of chocolates - you never know what
> you're gonna get :-)
>
> In addition, the Sisters will throw a party for the staff to celebrate
> certain feast days that are important to our Community, for Christmas, and
> for Mardi Gras. Given our Province's connection to New Orleans, Mardi Gras
> is a BIG production!
>
> Carole Prietto
> Daughters of Charity West Central Province
> St. Louis

> For the terms of participation, please refer to http://www.archivists.org/listservs/arch_listserv_terms.asp.
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe, send e-mail to [log in to unmask]

> Problems?  Send e-mail to Robert F Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>

                    *or*:  UNSUB ARCHIVES