This thread interests me since I head a major archives and museum.  I let my staff know I appreciate them by:

1. Praising them publicly.
2. Taking them to task privately.
3. Giving them credit for their contributions.
4. Avoiding taking credit for same.
5. Giving them as much autonomy as they can handle responsibly.
5. Keeping track throughout the year of the reasons why they should be rewarded financially at the time of their annual reviews.
6. Celebrating birthdays.

I have never subscribed to the notion that the workplace is one big, happy family.  Instead, the workplace is analogous to Meerkat Manor, the show on Animal Planet.  Both environments have constant displays of competition, compromise, conscience, responsibility, and petty squabbles.

Casey Edward Greene
Rosenberg Library